Snowy Egrets and a White Headed Bald Eagle

If you read my last blog, Snow In May, With Snowy Egrets, you would know that it snowed in May. Well, we shall add to the May events a white headed Bald Eagle too. Today I went to Duke Island Park (one of the parks close to me), and saw another Bald eagle!

Oh, this is me right before seeing it. Picture taken by my dad. 


As I was walking with my camera, I saw something huge flying in the sky. When I looked a little closer, I saw the white feathers on its back. A BALD EAGLE! My dad, who was close to me, did not believe me. I snapped some photos, and showed my dad. He nodded, and was amazed by my good vision.
But then something else caught my eye. On the top right of the camera screen, the red battery sign flickered. Only a little juice remained, and I had left my other battery at home. That's the thing with mirrorless cameras, the battery runs out when you least expect it to.

Right then another hawk came soaring above the river. I snapped some photos of it too, but they did not come out good. I was sure the two birds were going to have a fight, but luckily they didn't. Why "luckily", well, because I wasn't going to have any battery left, and I could not have taken any pictures of the fight. Frustrated, I told my dad that I wanted to go home, because of my usual bad luck combined with no battery, meant we were going to see something great, and I couldn't take a picture of it. But my dad didn't give up. He pulled my hand and convinced me to go further.

I continued on the path, and finally got to the end of the trail. There is a pond there, and I am always excited to go to it because that's where I saw my first Great Blue Heron. Speaking of Great Blue Herons, I saw a big neck sticking out by the fields. There it was, trying to catch a fish. I snapped some photos, but did not add any in my album, since I already have enough photos of this kind of bird. And yes, my battery was almost dead. But luckily, Canon batteries (the original camera battery) last long, even when they are almost drained, unlike my secondary "ripoff" one. Original batteries are very expensive.

Here is the behind the scenes picture of me taking a picture of the Heron.
I got the closest I could to it, but the Heron eventually flew away. I thought I might as well follow it, so I did. It lead me to the same spot I took a picture of the heron with a fish in its mouth. While I was taking pictures of it, something more interesting caught my eye. Two little Egrets were making a nest. Well, at least I thought they were called Egrets. I knew the bird, and I have always wanted to photograph it. I took lots of pictures, right until the battery was completely dead. Believe it or not, right before coming to this park, I had told my dad about this bird, and that it lives in NJ. I told my dad it was that bird, but once again, he didn't believe me. He was surprised why I wasn't taking pictures of the boring heron.


We headed back home, and I got the chance to edit and upload my pictures. We showed Google the picture, and it told us that the mysterious bird was called the Green Heron. I don't know about you, but I don't see any green on the bird. Well, that was yet another great day.

Finally, I want to give a humongous thanks to all of you who are reading my blog. It really means a lot to me :))

Comments

Popular Posts