A Day That Left Me Speechless

I am really speechless about the things that happened today. I have always wanted to travel to many parks in one single day. Well, this finally happened! 

My dad and I looked online to see the parks that were open. But before we went to the first one, we decided to take a stop by the ocean. Ahh, my favorite place to go. It is crazy that every time I go there I see something new. And after a long car ride, we finally arrived.

I got out of the car and the sound of seagulls squawking greeted me happily. I ran to the beach and the sand was really hot. I sank my feet in the water and waited for a nice photo opportunity. By the way, the water is finally getting warmer (64 degrees). As usually, a group of loud seagulls were in front of me, but this time they were fighting for the tiniest fish ever. I snapped a photo and realized that these animals were really desperate. I mean, a little fish like that in a huge bird (the seagull was pretty big) could merely be a snack.

Oh well, after a long walk on the seashore, it was time to head back to the car. The seagulls were STILL fighting, but this time it was about something else. I have been wanting to photograph this thing since last month. The animal who was about to be eaten was an amazing little crab, which wasn't so little after all. It was as big as my palm, and this was only a juvenile. An adult can grow much bigger. I guess the seagull and me had a connection, since it let the crab go, and I could take a picture of it. But of course, the seagull earned it first, so I gave him his lunch back.

This one was not the only crab I found today though. This crab was certainly not a normal one. Boy is it ugly! It looks to have some kind of disease, but this is its normal shell. I took a photo of this strange animal and, continued back to the car.

And of course, the little seagull, who was sitting on eggs. The sand was very hard, and filled with pointy seashells. I look to my left, and see a small seagull, looking at me. But this was not the only one in the area. Hundreds of them were flying in the area. I snapped a picture of the beautiful bird, and started my journey to the first park.


This park is called Cattus Island, which isn't really a park, but more of a wildlife reservation. I have been there many times before, and have ever written a previous article about it too. Once there, I started walking on a path. It turns out that was nothing much to see there, so I headed on a different one. Here they had a beautiful garden. It was filled with butterflies, and pollen gathering bees. But to my surprise, there were hummingbirds as well. Oh, you don't know for how long I have wanted to see and photograph hummingbirds. I waited an hour for them to come and go, until I goth this beautiful picture of the tiny bird. She is as small as my finger, and very fast, so it was hard for my camera's autofocus to catch her. 

Also, my dad filmed the bird moving its super fast wings, since I was busy taking photos of it.

We chose a different path this time, and halfway on it, we saw my favorite bird. The Osprey. But this time, with chicks. I had the opportunity of photographing the parents with the little chicks in one nest. The chicks are very furious, and the parents are protecting them from danger. Such cutie pies!

Down the long path I saw a little bird flying to the water. I looked through my lens, and saw that this bird looked like nothing I had seen before. It turns out this bird is called the White-bellied heron. This shot is not the best, since the bird was very far away. But you can still see how amazing it looks.

That is all for this park, but I must tell you something else. I saw a snake slithering very fast in front of me. It was about an arms reach away from me, but I could not take a picture of it since it was moving way too fast. Also, I saw two nasty ticks climbing on my leg. I brushed one off, but the other just did not want to let go. I could not take a picture of this either, since I was worried of it biting me. This reminded me of the nightmare I had with a tick that bit me in the head a couple of years ago.

The next stop was not really at a park, but more like at a lake. There were lots of fishers, so I thought I was not going to see anything, but I was wrong. Two awesome ducks swam next to me, and I got this great shot of the two. Also, as I walked further, I encountered a beautiful dragonfly, one I had never seen before. I snapped a photo of it, and went to yet another park. 

Then we went to the last destination of the day, a park with a large baseball stadium. We entered the park, and above us flew a beautiful Red-tailed hawk. I tried taking a photo of it, but the car was moving way too fast. We parked next to the stadium, and on the light poles stood two beautiful red tailed hawks. I didn't have a photo of this kind of bird, so I hurried up. One of them was a little shy, and left, so I got him flying. 


All in all, this was an amazing day, with us going to so many parks. I made well over twenty-thousand steps today, which is a record for me and my dad!






Comments

Popular Posts