Europe 2026 Part III (France and Italy)
Still full of the Megavalanche vibe from the day before, we started our descent through the Alps and the lovely French countryside. The vegetation gradually changed from the mosses and lichens on the barren rocks of the high mountains, to the lush green deciduous trees in the valleys, all the way to the Mediterranean olive trees and cypress of Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur. We stopped a few times on the way to take pictures and buy fresh fruits and vegetables from the impromptu roadside markets.
We aimed for yet another famous lake and valley in a place called Verdon Gorge. Rarely have I seen this shade of emerald-green in the water, apparently caused by a combination of microscopic algae, minerals in the water and limestone in the riverbed. I wanted us to rent a boat and row on the river, just as many other people were doing, but the weather was simply unbearably hot.
When we eventually reached the sea at Cap d'Antibes, it was already getting dark. Our apartment was right above an alley full of lively terraces. Despite the noise, I collapsed in bed.
Over the next few days, we visited the beaches we were now accustomed to, such as Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, Villefranche-sur-Mer, and Antibes. I love that I can find both regular beaches full of tourists and wilder coves and inlets here, where I can dive searching for the wonders of the sea.
We dedicated one day to go to Saint-Tropez, a famous coastal commune about 2 hours from our hotel. Saint-Tropez is known for the popular 70s movie series about the local "Gendarmes" - The Troops of St. Tropez starring Louis de Funès. There is even a museum about the movie, which we had to check out - another trip back in time! The town is full of tourists, rich people, terraces, fancy stores and impressive yachts parked on the shore.
On another day we drove across the coastline, checking out both resorts and places a little higher in altitude like Eze. In this area, there is something unique to see everywhere you turn. I must say that France is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, and every time we leave I feel like I'm going to miss it.
On the way back, we left the Côte d'Azur following some high mountains and passing countless viaducts and tunnels. We crossed into Italy at Isola 2000, another ski resort high above 6,000 feet. Here the mountains were full of boulders and... marmots! I wish we had more time so I could patiently wait for one to come closer so I could get a nice shot. Maybe next time!

Our next stop was Verona, famous as the setting for Romeo and Juliet. Strangely enough, the weather continued to be incredibly hot, so walking through the old streets of Verona was also rather challenging. Even though Shakespeare's famous story is fictional, there is a building called Casa di Giulietta is a genuine 13th-century medieval house that once belonged to the Dal Capello family - presumably, that's where the name Capulet comes from. The balcony that everyone wants to visit was added in the 20th century as a tourist attraction.
We spent another day in Italy driving along lakes and through cities. Eventually, we reached Maribor. I wanted to see Pohorje Maribor Bike Park, which hosts the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup, but I didn't get to see much of it because it was already late.
Our final stop was the town of Zalakaros, known for its thermal baths, close to Lake Balaton in Hungary.
Finally, we got back to Romania, tired, but dazzled by so many wonders seen in this over 6,000 miles driving trip.










Comments
Post a Comment