Buried In Snow!

    Last week, it snowed continuously for more than 55 hours! It stopped 2 days ago. And here I was, just a few days before, thinking that I was never going to see snow in my life again... I mean, I know I wanted a lot of snow, and for it to last, but in some places we got more than 2 feet! Don't get me wrong, I am not upset. Anyway, here's the story:

    I had just come back from a long trip in the park. I took my backpack and camera from the car, and headed towards the front door of the house. As I was walking, I saw a little snowflake gently making its way to the ground. Then another, and another, and before I knew it, the driveway was becoming white. I rushed into the house, "It's snowing, it's snowing," I yelled. I pressed my face against the window to look at the white beauty falling, and the ground being covered in a white blanket. For the past two months, I was looking daily at the forecast and I was expecting a storm to come. This time, they got it right!

    After about 3 hours, the grass was not visible anymore. It was time to take pictures. I grabbed my camera and I went outside. The snow was not so big yet, so I decided to wait a bit more in the house. 


    

    Well, it turns out that I got carried away doing homework and looking outside, so I waited until the next day. There were barely flurries when I woke up, but then it started snowing extremely hard in the middle of the day. 

    I waited some more for the ground to be covered. I went outside after school, and I was shocked at the amount on the ground. It was well over a foot.  I tripped, since the snow was so big. I thought my foot was never going to stop sinking. I went back inside briefly, and put on my snow pants. Then I snapped some pictures of the beautiful whiteness. In some places, it was even more than two feet. Outside it was still snowing, but slower than before.


    
It was night already, and when I looked out the window, I could see the flakes dancing in the wind under the light of the street lamp. I was already thinking how many adventures I was going to have tomorrow. When I woke up the next day, guess what? It was still snowing, but very little. I was eager to go to a park, but I could not, since the driveway was not cleared. Thank God we bought a good snowblower about 3 years ago. I thought we would never get a chance to use it in the big snow. I put on some heavy clothes, since I knew I would be out for a long time. So, me and my dad went to snow blow the driveway. I did most of it, since I always like how the big device worked. 

    The snowblower did its job (barely) and I had lots of fun. It was night when we finished, and it was starting to snow hard again. The next day the driveway was white again, so we had to clean it one more time. This time I took advantage of some breaks in my school schedule to clean it. I wanted to finish the job as quickly as possible so we could go to a park as soon as I finished school. Sadly, that plan did not work since I still had some homework to finish. It was getting dark, but still, we did go to a park. It was over 0 degrees Celsius, so the snow was melting away. I got to take some nice pictures though. It was beautiful there. 

    The next day it snowed again. Since it was a little warm outside, the snow was wet, and it stuck to the trees. After 3 hours of continuous snowing, everything, and I literally mean everything, was covered in white. I could not go to a park. Anyway, they were probably not open, since they didn't get a chance to clear the parking lots. I went out in my backyard a couple of times and took some amazing shots. 

    The forecast says that it will snow again this week. I really hope that is true. Until then, we will have to cherish the beauties and challenges of the snow that we already have.







FUN FACT: After learning a little at school about science, I now know the reason why snow doesn't melt right away. It is because the color white reflects a lot of light. If the snow were black, it would melt much faster if it came in contact with the sun or any source of light, because it would absorb its energy.

    















Comments

  1. Dear Casian, I enjoy your blog not only for your photos, but also for your writing. It’s so pure and distilled, it exults joy and innocent youth. Keep writing! Liliana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Casian, I enjoy your blog not only for your photos, but also for your writing. It’s so pure and distilled, it exults joy and innocent youth. Keep writing! Liliana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts