A Trip To Animal Kingdom (Cape May part 1 of 3)

Today I went to Cape May (a great wildlife preserve)! I am speechless for all the things I saw, so we shall get right to the story!

The other day I heard my parents talking about a trip to Cape May. I have always wanted to go there, and I got overexcited. They told me a trip by car drive should take about five hours back and forth, so I stood in place, scratching my head. After ten minutes of thinking, we decided we would go here. I packed all my gear, and started my journey.

I must tell you, we saw many, many animals on the way, but none were new. Again, I read my book, and in my opinion, we got there in no time. I could feel the weather changing. The air was more moist, houses had palm trees, and beeches surrounded me.

We got at the first bird observatory/beach, and I quickly got out of the car. I looked ahead, and I was shocked by what I saw. Vegetation on the ground, vegetation to my right, vegetation to my left, and vegetation on the ROOF. Can you believe it?! It was like in the movies. And no, this was not an abandoned house. People were living in the house! I took a photo of it.

Well, nothing was left to do but go on with the journey. To my left, the everyday bee was collecting pollen for her hive, and I got closer, afraid she will sting me. This cool shot really shows the bee up close! 

This day was already turning out to be good, so I continued with joy. To my right was a snowy egret. But there were much too many twigs and vines in the way, so I could not get a proper photo. On the other hand, a happy family of swans were on the lake, so I snapped some photos of them. After reviewing the photos, I saw that the chicks did not yet have their beak all red. Or, instead of The Ugly Duckling, they were the The Ugly Swanlings! 

That was it for the Vegetation area. Now it was time to go out on the beach. I have heard that there are dolphin sightings everyday, so I might see one too. As I headed out on the beach, I saw that next to me were fences. I thought they were there to protect the turtle buried eggs. I looked out for dolphins but none were around. Instead, the everyday seagull was flying. I took a great photo of it. I am fascinated with this one's wings. They are curved backwards. It probably makes them more aerodynamic.

After some time on the beach, something big grabbed my attention. Two birds were eating next to me. I quickly grabbed my camera, and came closer. I snapped some photos. After reviewing them, I almost had a heart attack!! According to Google, this bird is an Oystercatcher. But if it were up to me, I would call it "The Devil Bird"! The eyes look like the devil's! It's crazy to see all these animals here on Earth.

It was time to go to another place, and we got out of the beach. I looked out to those holes again, and saw a pair of black eyes looking at me. Then they quickly hurried in the sand. You bet, A CRAB! I hadn't seen one since last year, and especially not this kind. It was all white, and perfectly camouflaged with the sand. I waited about half an hour for the crabs to come out. Finally two did, and I took great pictures of both of them.








I was officially back to the vegetation area, when I saw these little long beaked birds, and I snapped some photos of them. One had a drop of water hanging from the beak, which made the picture look more cool.

I finally reached the car, and we went to another part of the beach. Many people were surrounding me. None, and I repeat, none of them had masks. I carefully went around them. I reached the beach, and my heart dropped. I saw fins in the water. FINS. That could only mean two things. Sharks, or dolphins. Then I saw one leap over the water. Ok, definitely dolphins. I took out my camera, and shot about one hundred photos. Luckily I got the dolphin leaping. This was a very special picture for me, and I will treasure it forever.

That is it for this beach. I asked my dad if I could go back to the vegetation area, and he approved. We went on the path, and we saw a group of people looking at something. It really bugs me and my family that people again don't have masks. It looks like they really don't care. At least I know that I am safe!

We rushed to the excitement of the people, and on the ground, saw a long tail. I looked closer, and identified the scales. A SNAKE!! Since I got this camera, I have really wanted to photograph a snake. And this one was right in front of me. Sadly, its face was hidden, but I managed to take a decent shot of it. I also photographed the body, and got an extra cool photo. This snake is huge, and I think it just finished eating something, for it had a bump in it's body. You can see the true size compared to me if you check my behind the scenes article!



I got back to the car, and headed towards the city.

Comments

Popular Posts